- The most important factor in software development is the quality of the programmers.
- The best programmers are up to 28 times better than the worst.
- Adding people to a late project makes it later.
- One of the most common causes of runaway projects is poor estimation.
- The other most common cause of runaway projects is unstable requirements.
- Requirements errors are the most expensive to fix during production.
- Maintenance typically consumes 40 to 80 percent of software costs.
- Enhancements represent roughly 60 percent of maintenance costs.
- Software needs more methodologies.
- You teach people how to program by showing them how to write programs.
Adapted from Robert L. Glass, Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering, Addison Wesley, 2003